Monday, November 28, 2011

Cookies or Brownies? In ready for Christmas!

I had the opportunity to bake with a friend from school. I wondered why I see her so often during breaks between classes for the past few months of the new semester. I wanted to bake Marzipan Chritsmas cookies initially but I changed my mind because she isn't a great fan of Marzipans, but chocolate. After that, we went to the Alte weihnachtsmarkt in Heumarkt. It was really cool.

Failed Chocolate cookies. It was chewy but aromatic. :) hehe
She is totally different from what I have expected. She listens to Rock and unbearable to classic or pop. I was totally shocked whem she played the music from 30 seconds to Mars in a relatively full blast. Naturally , I didn't show any reaction towards her 'norms'. We could even hardly hear each other. She don't seem to me that she bakes because she don't have standard baking equipments at home like measuring cups or spoons. We planned to make chocolate cookies from the recipe I got from Kate. She told me that it tasted really good, she had this recipe back from her girl scout time. It reminds her of the camps she had. Okay, we used chocolate drinking powder instead those for baking, which I never thought about that the powder is sweetened. And the funniest mistake I ever did was melting the butter under heat instead of creaming the butter. I misunderstood.  :) So, we took the time to separate the cookies and as expected, all flattened up in the oven and fused into one big piece of chocolate 'cookies or brownies'. We had a great laugh. The texture was chewy and it was extremely sweet for me. (although it had a really tempting chocolate aroma. ) I didn't ate lunch and I was hungry. I ate some of the 'cookies' and went to the christmas market. It was wonderful. I had a really great time listening to her explanations about the stuffs that are being sold and her wonderful stories of her childhood.



There is a stand that is selling glass made Cologne Cathedral stuff. Those are really fine work on the products that they are selling. Marie was really attracted to the things sold there. She wanted a ring because she lost the last one she had. Then we talked and the guy in this Dom Glass company explained to us about the difference of the normal glass and the glass being utilized in making the products. I didn't remember much of the details but I am pretty sure that it is the difference in the texture and the temperature utilized to form the items. In the middle of the conversation, he told us that he is living in Jakarta since 5 years ago. He comes back to Cologne every year to work in the Christmas market.  Obviously he speaks Bahasa Indonesia and he says that the language is interesting and cool. I felt ashamed for not being to be proud of speaking the language. I can't believe that he, a German appreciates the language and I didn't see the beauty of the language.
Domglas products


I was curious that she mingled around the group of friends for the past few months. Then I realised that she mixes around with people that are older and mature. Her besties had graduated and they are now studying in another town that is considerably far away from Köln. Then we talked about being strivers because I find it easier for me to mix around with people that have good grades. Eventually the definition could me positively or negatively understood. I just can't understand about the culture and mentality of those who teases or labelises people who make an effort for their grades. Of course, those who are being labelised are eventually 'not cool' and they don't get really much contact with the others. It can be so bad that they would try to get an acceptable level of grades. I am so glad that it is different in my country. If the 'smart' people are not being acknowledged, we might have the same fear of getting better grades than the majority.


No comments:

Post a Comment